Recap from dinner Friday night: -Polenta Sticks with Roasted Tomato Coulis (recipe in this post)
-Roasted figs wrapped in prosciutto with goat cheese, arugula, endive, and pear salad (stay tuned)
-Pan Roasted Pork Tenderloin with a red onion and apple marmalade (stay tuned)
This was a post-worthy meal...
My husband and I love having friends over for dinner. There are a few things that repeat guests come to realize about coming for dinner at our place. One, we’re never ready for you, so coming earlier than the set time is not advisable. Two, I am not a very good “make ahead” cook; therefore dinner is made course by course throughout the night. I just really think of it as entertainment for my guests. Three, Pauly P (hubby) is a killer cocktail maker. Guests know this is going to be the proverbial “three hour” tour with him at the helm, manned with shaker. Four, they know that they will leave fully satisfied and wowed, wondering when H&P are going to open up a restaurant.
What it comes down to is that I enlist guests; especially close friends with no food hang ups, as the testing ground for new or first time recipes. A little dicey, I know, especially when I leave the shopping for the meal until the afternoon or after work of that day. Obviously, I have a game plan with the menu, but I always underestimate my time and let things get too fast and furious in the kitchen. Anyhow, the creative juices are flowing right now and I have lots of recipes to test out.
POLENTA STICKS with Roasted Tomato Coulis: New food addiction!
We have polenta a lot; it’s quicker and easier than rice or pasta, and has lots of potential. My grandfather used to make it when I was young, cut with a string and all! We’ve recently had some decent polenta sticks at a nearby restaurant and I’ve wanted to try to make them at home, again! There have been failed attempts with other people's recipes, finally I've figured it out!
We have polenta a lot; it’s quicker and easier than rice or pasta, and has lots of potential. My grandfather used to make it when I was young, cut with a string and all! We’ve recently had some decent polenta sticks at a nearby restaurant and I’ve wanted to try to make them at home, again! There have been failed attempts with other people's recipes, finally I've figured it out!
PICKING POLENTA: For this recipe I used “Quaker Yellow Cornmeal”. It’s pretty fine in texture and cooks very quickly. There are brands of cornmeal that are labeled as “polenta” and may have a more coarse texture. It takes longer to cook but Italian authorities out there say that the taste and consistency of the polenta is superior when the coarse cornmeal is used, if you have the time. I do not recommend the polenta in a tube. In my opinion, it taste kind of rubbery and lacks taste, plus it’s a packaged good with a shelf life.
THE SAUCE (Coulis): You may use your favorite marinara sauce, tapenade, pesto, or even just grated cheese. Trader Joe’s or Wholefoods make some great pre-made stuff. But give the coulis a try, I didn’t even fire up the big oven, I used my toaster oven.
The RECIPE:
Serves at least 8 as an appetizer, side, or snack
Total Time: 35 minutes, plus the 2 hour chilling time
**The polenta has to be refrigerated at least 2 hours prior to meal time! Can be made the day before.
Polenta:
8 1/2 cups of water
2 T of extra virgin olive oil
3 T of canola oil
2 3/4 cups of cornmeal
Kosher salt and ground pepper
2 t of ground red pepper (if you have it or experiment with another fav ground spice)
3-4 T grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
Serves at least 8 as an appetizer, side, or snack
Total Time: 35 minutes, plus the 2 hour chilling time
**The polenta has to be refrigerated at least 2 hours prior to meal time! Can be made the day before.
Polenta:
8 1/2 cups of water
2 T of extra virgin olive oil
3 T of canola oil
2 3/4 cups of cornmeal
Kosher salt and ground pepper
2 t of ground red pepper (if you have it or experiment with another fav ground spice)
3-4 T grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
1. Generously spray a 9X13 inch baking dish with cooking spray (bottom and sides). In a large sauce pan, bring the water and olive oil to a boil. Gradually add the cornmeal, whisking constantly. Once fully incorporated, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 5 minutes. Be careful! Polenta can pop and splatter if the heat is too high! It will come away from the sides of the pan and cling to the whisk when it is finished (See photo 1 below). Season with salt and pepper and ground red pepper (or optional spice). Spread the polenta evenly into the prepped baking dish. (I reserved about 3/4 c of the polenta in order to maintain an even 1 to 1 1/2 inch thickness, after all, these are sticks! Plus I just wanted some to eat.) Smooth the top and cover the dish with plastic wrap (yes, it will still be a little warm) and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours. This can be done a day ahead.
Roasted Tomato Coulis:
1 pint of grape or cherry tomatoes (could use 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, if decent freshies aren't available)3 T extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
4-5 sprigs of fresh rosemary or thyme (whatever you have)
splash of balsamic or red wine vinegar
3 cloves of fresh garlic
1 T basil pesto (optional) *good staple to have in the frig
Roasted Tomato Coulis:
1 pint of grape or cherry tomatoes (could use 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, if decent freshies aren't available)3 T extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
4-5 sprigs of fresh rosemary or thyme (whatever you have)
splash of balsamic or red wine vinegar
3 cloves of fresh garlic
1 T basil pesto (optional) *good staple to have in the frig
2. Preheat toaster oven or oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with foil. Toss the tomatoes with the oil: season with salt and pepper. Place on the baking sheet and top with fresh herbs, roast for 20-25 minutes, until the tomatoes begin to plump up and release their juices. Discard the herbs. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the splash of the vinegar, garlic, and pesto. Gently crushed the tomatoes and toss everything together. Set aside.
3. MAKING and COOKING THE POLENTA STICKS:
Turn the chilled polenta out on to a baking sheet by laying the sheet on top of the baking dish and inverting it. Trim 1/2 inch off all sides. Cut the polenta lengthwise down the middle. Cut across in 1" stick widths. Brush a non-stick griddle or large pan with some canola oil and heat to medium-high. Brush the tops of the polenta sticks with canola oil (See photo 2).
Place the sticks oiled side down on the griddle or pan and adjust the heat. No less than medium. I've recently learned this about pan frying/roasting: Use your ears- listen for a nice sizzle, not a spitting, hissing sound.
Brush the other sides with oil (See photo 3). Using a pair of tongs, just move them slightly to test your heat and amount of oil to ensure that they are not sticking. After 2 minutes, roll over to next side and cook for 2 minutes, repeat for the 2 remaining sides (See photo 4). They get an amazing golden yellow and a thin crispy outside than retain the tenderness on the inside. Yummy and not greasy!
Transfer to plate, sprinkle with cheese and serve with coulis.
Place the sticks oiled side down on the griddle or pan and adjust the heat. No less than medium. I've recently learned this about pan frying/roasting: Use your ears- listen for a nice sizzle, not a spitting, hissing sound.
Brush the other sides with oil (See photo 3). Using a pair of tongs, just move them slightly to test your heat and amount of oil to ensure that they are not sticking. After 2 minutes, roll over to next side and cook for 2 minutes, repeat for the 2 remaining sides (See photo 4). They get an amazing golden yellow and a thin crispy outside than retain the tenderness on the inside. Yummy and not greasy!
Transfer to plate, sprinkle with cheese and serve with coulis.
Keep in frig great, just toast up again!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! I will gladly answer questions and appreciate your feedback!