Thursday, November 18, 2010

Color matters: Butternut Squash Ribbon Salad with Pomegranate seeds and Goat cheese


Ahh, fall is in full swing and just having a minute to take a break from baking and enjoy the vibrant autumn colors is so refreshing!  A lot of my taste in food and why I love cooking with vegetables is because of color.  Obviously taste has it's hierarchy, but there is something about the beauty in variation and unpredictability that appeals to me.  Anyhow, no new discovery to ribbon vegetables in dishes, but butternut squash is one veggie that tends to just get most commonly, roasted and pureed.  It may become a new addition to a holiday meal!
The day I actually made this was more typical of the weather we have been having in Pennsylvania- rainy and dreary. 
This dish was perfect for brightening the day!  I have since then decided that the next time I make it...most likely over Thanksgiving, I would make a few amendments to what you see photographed.


Butternut Squash Ribbons with Pomegranate seeds
and Goat Cheese
Serves 2 main salads or 4 small side salads

-2 cups of shaved butternut squash
-2 T olive oil + 1 T butter
-2 t garam masala spice (can substitute all spice or nutmeg, to taste)
-pinch of kosher salt
-1/2 c fresh pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries

-handful of toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
-bunch of fresh spinach, OR next time I am going to use sauteed escarole (make sure to boil it for about 15 min first, then saute for 10 min.)
-1/2 c crumbled goat cheese

Sweating the butternut:
-Heat the oil and butter in a medium saute pan, on medium heat
add the butternut ribbons

-Stir to coat the ribbons and turn the heat down just a bit, so a low simmer.
-When you see signs of the butternut starting to release its liquid (aka sweat), remove from heat and lightly toss with spice and salt.  You have to be careful not to cook the ribbons too long, the squash gets soft and doesn't hold it shape. Set aside


Prep and plate your spinach or escarole.
Place the ribbons on top, and sprinkle with the pom seeds or cranberries, walnuts, and goat cheese.  I just drizzled a little extra virgin olive oil over top, but a vinaigrette would be nice too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! I will gladly answer questions and appreciate your feedback!