Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Spiced Sweet Potato Pumpkin Baked Donuts

 I am posting this recipe as per request from the great folks at SofterWare.  I recently had the pleasure of making these breakfast treats for an office event.  I used a recipe I found on King Arthur Flour website but modified it to the taste profile I was after.  I also chose the recipe because it is very easy, was a baked vs fried donut, and the batter could be mass produced.  Follow the link to the original recipe.  My notes below are what I did to lighten the ingredients up a bit and add more flavor.



My modifications (present and future):
*Instead of vegetable oil use pumpkin butter from Trader Joe's or plain non-fat greek yogurt
-reduce to 1 cup of sugar
- ¾ cup  canned pumpkin (preferably organic)
- ¾ cup cooked, mashed sweet potato (preferably organic)
- 2t pumpkin pie spice OR 1t ground cloves, 1t all spice
- 2t cinnamon, 1/2t nutmeg, 1/2t ginger
- 2T potato starch
Nice addition would be fresh grated ginger
 
Caramel Glaze:
¼ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup half and half
½ t vanilla
1/4t cinnamon
1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
½ c caramel from jar (I used Trader Joe's fleur de sel caramel)

For the Glaze:
The donuts/ muffins must be completely cool, before putting on the glaze.  
Place sifted powdered sugar in bowl.  Add the salt, cinnamon, vanilla, and half and half, wisk until smooth and there are no lumps.  Heat the caramel in the microwave until softened and add to the powdered sugar mix.  To glaze donuts you can just dip the tops directly in to the mixing bowl.  Place on a baking rack



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! I will gladly answer questions and appreciate your feedback!