With anticipation that here in the Philadelphia area we were going to have a “seasonal” weather weekend; I was psyched to actually be in the mood for soup. I had a random bag of roasted butternut squash I “found” in the bottom of my freezer, and two fresh, Red Kabocha Squash - Certified Organic – from Elm Tree Organics, that came in our farm share this week. Those beauties are being saved for bigger things than a quick Friday night soup fix. The frozen squash was going to be a soup player. Corn chowder was sounding good but I didn’t want something “chunky”. Having two sweet veggies at my disposal led to the creation of something pretty special.
After one spoonful, everyone at the table agreed that this was a keeper. I wish I would have made a double batch because this was gone faster than my paycheck and it ended up being dreary and cold both days!
**I must tell you the secret to this amazing flavor was not the canned corn or even the roasted butternut – FRESH TUMERIC took this or our taste buds someplace else! I have been using it for a few months now and it is really an amazing flavor, but tastes a lot different fresh than in powder form. I am not a curry or Indian food fan, so a little piece of this powerful antioxidant root, goes a long way. It is peppery, but warm, and in the ginger family. Wear Gloves while cutting it! Its bright orange-yellow coloring lingers on your fingertips. I served this with homemade cheese bread, which I will be sharing soon!
**I must tell you the secret to this amazing flavor was not the canned corn or even the roasted butternut – FRESH TUMERIC took this or our taste buds someplace else! I have been using it for a few months now and it is really an amazing flavor, but tastes a lot different fresh than in powder form. I am not a curry or Indian food fan, so a little piece of this powerful antioxidant root, goes a long way. It is peppery, but warm, and in the ginger family. Wear Gloves while cutting it! Its bright orange-yellow coloring lingers on your fingertips. I served this with homemade cheese bread, which I will be sharing soon!
Corn and Roasted Squash Soup
Makes 4-6 servings
Makes 4-6 servings
2 slices apple smoked bacon, cut in 1 inch pieces
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
½ to 1T minced fresh turmeric (see note above)
¼ cup Marsala wine
2 cups roasted butternut, Hubbard, Delicata squash , any type you have or prefer
(1 medium-sized) cubed
(1 medium-sized) cubed
1/2 t chili powder, 1 t chipotle pepper seasoning
¼ cup of roasted poblano peppers, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
2 cans kernel corn
1 can cream corn
Fresh ground pepper
Salt
2. Add the fresh turmeric, and after a minute or two, add the squash. Add the seasonings and peppers. Stir for a few minutes to incorporate the ingredients together. Add the chicken broth and bring to a low boil. Add the 2 cans of kernel corn and let the soup simmer on low for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. With an immersion or hand blender, blend the soup enough to breakdown any chunks of squash that still remain. Don’t go crazy, the corn should not be broken down beyond recognition.
4. Last, add the can of cream-style corn. Let the soup go at a very low simmer for another 15-20 minutes, any additional time is great for bringing out the flavor of the corn.
Season with fresh pepper and salt to taste.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! I will gladly answer questions and appreciate your feedback!