There is something about the fall season that is very “homey”. I remember coming from home from college and
loving the comforts of family and special dishes cooked just for my arrival. So many times, baked goods are inspired by
family recipes and comfort foods that we cherished when we were young. I am blaming my craving for molasses cake, on those glory days of someone taking care of me rather than the opposite way around!
So I had this random recipe on a scrap of lined note paper,
with ingredients and very little direction.
The mystery was to find out whose recipe this originated from in my
family. My Mom or either of my
grandmothers is the likely baker of this dark, crumbly, slightly spiced, not
overly sweet cake- great with a cup of tea.
A very modest, everyday kind of cake-that most likely had its place when
neighbors got together in the afternoon or at night to chat.
I also took a peek on-line to see if there were any similar
molasses cake recipes that would inspire me further. Much to my surprise, while I found many cakes
that have molasses in them, they were labeled as “gingerbread cakes”. This cake is not as spicy as gingerbread
would be, plus my family recipe has crumbs on top and that swirl through the
cake.
So I have taken some liberties with my family recipe that I came to find originated from my Mom. In asking around my hood, it seems that people in the Philly area are not familiar with such a cake. After insisting that it was something worth trying and defending my somewhat hick origins; I had to reproduce it in a manner to which it would live up to the hype.
So I have taken some liberties with my family recipe that I came to find originated from my Mom. In asking around my hood, it seems that people in the Philly area are not familiar with such a cake. After insisting that it was something worth trying and defending my somewhat hick origins; I had to reproduce it in a manner to which it would live up to the hype.
Molasses in general doesn’t always get the best rap,
especially in baked goods such as a Pennsylvania Dutch “shoo-fly pie” which is a close cousin to this molasses cake. Referring to a food item with a “wet bottom” is a little
distasteful, I guess? Anyhow, this Dutchy
concoction came out even better than I remember it to be! Putting this together relied heavily on my
sense of smell. I put things next to one
another, took in their aromas intermixing, and after a few licks- as the
Pennsylvania Dutch would say “sure eats good”.
Molasses Cake
Time 55 min. 8-10
servings
3 cups of AP flour
½ cup sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
½ t baking powder
2T potato starch (an amazing cake texturizer)
1 t cinnamon
2t crystalized ginger (great addition to any crumb topping)
1/2c vegetable or canola oil OR a fruit puree (apple sauce + 1 T oil or 1:1 fruit butter -to lower fat)
1 t baking soda
1 cup boiling water
1 T ginger brandy (optional)
¾ cup unsulfured molasses
½ cup sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
½ t baking powder
2T potato starch (an amazing cake texturizer)
1 t cinnamon
2t crystalized ginger (great addition to any crumb topping)
1/2c vegetable or canola oil OR a fruit puree (apple sauce + 1 T oil or 1:1 fruit butter -to lower fat)
1 t baking soda
1 cup boiling water
1 T ginger brandy (optional)
¾ cup unsulfured molasses
2t grated orange rind
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8x12 dark baking pan OR 4-5 smaller baking tins
2. In a mixer bowl sift together (with a whisk) the flour, baking powder, potato starch, crystalized ginger, cinnamon, and sugars.
3. Add the oil (or fruit puree/butter) to the flour mix on low speed and blend together to form a “crumb” looking mixture (see photo).
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8x12 dark baking pan OR 4-5 smaller baking tins
2. In a mixer bowl sift together (with a whisk) the flour, baking powder, potato starch, crystalized ginger, cinnamon, and sugars.
3. Add the oil (or fruit puree/butter) to the flour mix on low speed and blend together to form a “crumb” looking mixture (see photo).
4. Reserve a generous 1 cup of this for the topping. *If you want a major amount of crumb on this, you could always make another half of the flour mix and keep just for the topping.
5. In a large bowl ,
add the baking soda and then pour the boiling water over it, stirring until it
dissolves. Immediately pour in the
molasses and ginger brandy, stir with a spatula to incorporate.
6. Add the molasses
mix to the dry ingredients and beat on medium speed until all the ingredients
are thoroughly mixed together. Stir in
the orange rind. * Don’t worry, the
batter is very thin!
7. Pour the batter
into the prepared pan or pans. Sprinkle
the topping on the batter. With a
spatula or knife, gently swirl the topping evening into the batter. You can add a little crumb on top if you made
extra.
8. Bake for 40
minutes (8x12), 20-25 minutes (smaller tins or round pans) or a cake tester
comes out of the center of the cake clean, and the crumb develops a slightly
golden color.
Cake can be stored in an airtight lid for 3 days. This freezes very well!


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! I will gladly answer questions and appreciate your feedback!