Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Baked Banana Donuts with Peanut Butter Glaze

When I saw this recipe post on Shutterbean, the photos sold me.  I was still dealing with a surplus of very ripe bananas and my son and husband were boycotting bananas in the form of bread or muffins.  This was the ticket!
It's all about packaging right?  Anyhow, I slightly modified the recipe to lower the butter content and thin out the frosting to more of a glaze.  The brown butter in their frosting recipe looks amazing but I just wanted to keep these on the lighter side so I could enjoy them as well without guilt.  
Light and fluffy they are!  The banana flavor really come through and the peanut butter on top definitely provides sweet background music.
The photography on Shutterbean is what I aspire mine to be, but these donuts went particularly fast so I didn't have time to play!  We also have an pretty super donut shop right around the corner that makes the real deal donuts when we want to go all out.
Baked Banana Donuts with Peanut Butter Glaze
  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2t potato starch
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3-4 bananas)
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/4 cup light sour cream
    For Glaze:
  • 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
  • 1t agave nectar
  • hot water as needed to thin out peanut butter
1.  Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease 2 nonstick, 6-count doughnut pans. 
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, potato starch, and cinnamon. Using electric mixer; beat together the granulated sugar and eggs in mixer bowl until light colored, about 3 minutes. Stir in mashed bananas, vanilla, sour cream and the oil. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined. Spoon the batter about three-quarters full into the prepared pans. Bake on middle rack until golden and a toothpick inserted comes out dry, 12 to 15 minutes; let cool completely on a rack.
2.  Melt the peanut butter in a small pan and heat over low heat until melted and smooth, about 4-5 minutes.  Add the melted butter to the peanut butter and stir in the agave nectar. To thin the peanut butter to a glaze consistency, add a few tablespoons of hot water into the mix and stir. The glaze should coat the back of your spatula.  Dip the bottom (smooth edge) of your doughnut into the peanut butter glaze and return to rack to add decorative sprinkles (optional) immediately.  Will keep at room temp overnight in an air tight container, otherwise freeze unglazed donuts up to a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! I will gladly answer questions and appreciate your feedback!