Sunday, November 13, 2011

Maple Sausage, Onion, and Three Cheese Calzone


Did I mention I think I have an unhealthy addiction to food reality shows? Just kidding, maybe...nah just another recipe contest I found based on the theme MAPLE.  I don't use maple syrup or sugar that much but I associate it with the fall season and I was looking for a new ingredient or taste to add to our daily fare.  So the next few posts are what I came up with.  I wish the photos were better but the night kitchen was open and the deadline dangerously close.  This ended up to be an awesome sweet and savory combination that transformed a classic calzone.  I used Apple maple chicken sausage links from Trader Joe's instead of the usual Italian sausage found in calzones.  I had never tried it before and it is really tasty!  It doesn't really have a casing so dice it after you cook the links.  If you use store-bought pizza dough this comes together without a lot of prep or effort.  Just make sure to let the onions get nice and jammy.
Maple Sausage, Onion, and Three Cheese Calzone
Prep: 10  minutes Cook time total: 40 minutes
Serves 4-6
Ingredients
1 pound homemade or store bought pizza dough
15 oz container fresh ricotta cheese
3/4 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ t fresh cracked pepper
1/4t fresh grated nutmeg (or ground)
1 link of apple maple chicken sausage, cooked and finely diced
2 cup sliced sweet onion
½ cup Fuji or apple, diced
4T Grade A Maple syrup
2T dark brown sugar
1T unsalted butter
1 egg white lightly beaten

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 450° F.  Place a pizza stone in the oven if available or grease a 11x13 baking sheet, set aside
  2. In a medium sauté pan, add 2T of syrup and 1T of brown sugar, cook on medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add the onions and apples and sauté for 5 minutes.  Add the remaining syrup, sugar, and the butter.  Once the onions are translucent, turn the heat to medium low and cook until the onions, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes until caramelized.  Add the cooked sausage, set aside to slightly cool. 
  3. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella, and smoked cheddar, ¼ teaspoon pepper and nutmeg.
    On a lightly floured surface, roll and stretch the dough into a 12 inch round.
  4. Layer the cheese mixture on one side of the round of dough and top with the onion sausage mixture. Brush the edge of the entire round with egg white.  Fold the dough over the filling and pinch the edges to seal.
  5. Brush the tops of the calzones with the remaining egg white (optional). Transfer to prepared stone or baking sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with a chipotle maple sauce (Stonewall Farms) or a blue cheese dressing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! I will gladly answer questions and appreciate your feedback!